Friday, May 23, 2008

Thing #11 - Library Thing

By far the most amazing thing I've come across so far during this web challenge. After working at a bookstore, and being an English major, I have accumulated quite a collection of books. I love the idea of being able to organize them and keep track of titles, but gathering all of the information is quite a task. This site allows you to keep a record with such ease.

I haven't had a chance to become a part of any kind of discussion group, but I have read a few reviews of books in my collection. It's nice to be able to read something that honest. It's rare to find a review of material that isn't by someone trying to sell you the book, and also isn't by someone who is using the ability to post as a way to vent for a regretful purchase. These are written by people who truly have a love of books.

I seem to keep coming back to my grandfather while I'm blogging for this web challenge. It's rather appropriate since he was always pushing me to start my master's in library science, and here I am finally working in a library. He was a great lover of books, and when he passed away, he left rooms full of books. My mother and my uncles have been trying to figure out a way to note his collection as a way of seeing if anyone would be interested in certain titles. The entire family is full of book lovers, and I think this is going to be our answer.

No comments: