Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thing #16 - Wikis

I don't think I realized the full potential of Wikis before starting this challenge. I knew from experience with Wikipedia that people could add and update information, but I never thought of using it for something as practical as a camping trip(which I plan often). The Library Success page is full of resources. As I'm just starting out at the library, a lot of the information doesn't pertain to my job, but hopefully it will one day. One thing I found that will be useful is the link to reader recommendations. I've been around books for a long time, and I'm familiar with popular titles, but lacking the time to really read what current, I find it difficult to make certain suggestions. This resource will really help me with that.

I looked around at the OCL entry on Wikipedia. I liked looking at the edits in the history. One thing that stuck out was a spelling correction. I can't stand it when I look at a website and find a spelling mistake. With the use of Wikis, people can fix these little errors that the creator might have overlooked. Just a small pet peeve made better, but it's something. As of now, I usually use MySpace as a way of coordinating our camping trips, but maybe I'll have to suggest trying to set up a Wiki of our own.

No comments: