Friday, May 16, 2008

Thing #5 - Flickr

I have always been drawn to trees. There is a certain stability about them that I have always been drawn to due to a lack of such in my own life. There is also a grace and beauty about them that seems to silently teach these lessons to anyone in their presence.

I was drawn to this picture because it reminded me of a particular tree that I used to visit while I was in college. I found it within the first week of being in this new place, new state, surrounded by new people; and somehow it seemed like home. It must have had some traumatic event during its developmental years that caused it to branch out directly over the lake. Its strength seemed to tease gravity by holding it just about a foot above the water. I would take my notebook or book and climb out as far as I could. There at the end was a perfect nook to sit in. No matter what stress I may have been feeling, being there on that tree, I felt like I was a million miles away from everything and everyone.

Whenever I am in the area, I go back to visit that tree. I was even able to climb out on it this Thanksgiving, given our unseasonably warm weather. It seems the tree in this image may have experienced a similar beginning fate, and like my tree in Delaware, it continues to hold strong and remains an unusual speck of beauty in an unsuspecting place.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/new-yorkled/533593187/

No comments: